THE STATE OF THE DMV MARKET
The DMV area has long been a pillar of monumental proportions in Turo history. Just last year, the amount of rentals doubled. In anticipation of tomorrow night’s DC community party, we thought we’d investigate the local market’s politics and share some helpful stats on the state of Turo’s DMV market.
The pursuit of happiness
A little over half of the searches in the DMV area have a filter applied to them (53.56% in the last year to be exact). What exactly these travelers are looking for runs the gamut with a pretty even distribution of different filters that are probably best defined by the value proposition of the overall marketplace: convenience and choice. Sure, most renters want a car nearby (14% of filtered searches are by map) for the best price (13% of searches sort by price), but many more are interested in the kind of car too. Combined, the filters for a car’s category, type and make account for over a third of the filters used. The exact model type, however, only accounts for a mere 2% of the filters used.
Most are searching for something on the snazzier side. The fancy schmancy categories like “upscale” and “elite” make up nearly half of the categories searched. Searches by make follow the same trend too with BMW being the most popular and Mercedes-Benz and Tesla following just behind.
Not all who wander are lost
Remember, only about half of the searches in the area are filtered. Despite most of the searches in the area for a premium ride, more than half of the cars actually booked are the daily drivers. Makes like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan top the list for booked trips.
Trip types and seasonality
Nationally, most Turo rentals are completed by travelers outside the local area. In the DMV area however, more than 68% of trips are completed by local residents. This local leaning translates into far fewer airport rentals and a lower daily price than the marketplace average. The good news is that the average trip length of just under four days is about on par with the marketplace average.
While the area tends to mirror the marketplace average for high seasons in the summer months and winter holidays, demand soars well above average from May to July. Big weekend holidays like Memorial Day and Independence Day are particularly busy in the nation’s capital.
These owners will go down in Turo history, having hosted the most in the area. The renters have spoken, and these owners are our top hosts.
- With thousands of glowing reviews and more than double the amount of cars than almost any owner in the area, Mariano has the top spot locked down. His fleet of daily drivers priced around $40/day are located a short walk from the Columbia Heights metro station. While you’re in the neighborhood, you might want to swing by Mariano’s restaurant for their famous Ropa Vieja to do some refueling of your own.
- Steve has hosted thousands of trips over the past couple years and maintains a perfect 5-star rating for providing a great value to his renters with newer models and competitive pricing. He also gets extra traveler bonus points for speaking three languages!
- From Kia to Audi to Infiniti and beyond, Ryan’s cars have been delighting travelers since 2014. Convenient perks like unlimited mileage have garnered him hundreds of 5-star reviews over the years.
- Reppin’ Baltimore on this list is Lookman with his three cars. Peruse through his hundreds of reviews and you’ll see a lot of repeat renters that describe their trips as “awesome” and “the best rental experience I’ve ever had”.
- All the single car ladies… all the single car ladies… now put your keys up! Jennifer has hosted over 200 trips in her Honda Civic since 2014. One of her renters recently described her as “the Michael Jordan of car renting” and we couldn’t agree more (but still think Beyonce sounds more fun).
Representing the newbies on the hill, these hosts have already proven themselves to be popular with the people.
- In just a year, Tyler has hosted 80 trips and counting in his small but mighty fleet of Jeeps and luxury sedans. Travelers often describe his cars as “immaculate” and Tyler himself as “AMAZING” (yes, in all caps).
- Since hosting his first trip in August of last year, Randy’s two cars have been a hit with travelers who rave about his swift response time and accommodations.
- Angelica is a jetsetter that splits her time between DC and Miami, offering a fleet of high-end wheels in both cities. She’s hosted 355 trips and counting since joining the community a year ago.
Wait, wait! There’s more!
Want to learn even more about Turo’s DMV market and meet the rest of the community? Be sure to join us at tomorrow’s community party!